I wrote something similar to this last year, but it's getting close to the one year anniversary, so I think I might re-write it, make it better, and use this... But it's just a possibility.::
November 4, 2009. One of the worst days of my life. Maybe even the worst. I lost someone who meant so much to me that day. My grandpa, Irvin Trouten. He was probably one of my favorite people. I could tell him anything, I loved hanging out with him, even though it's "weird" for kids to actually like to hang out with their grandparents. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in January '09. He passed away on November 4th. I miss him so much. I remember that whole day...
My dad, stepmom, (at the time) four year old sister, and I had lived in a trailer off of Dunbar, but they couldn't afford it. So, we moved in with my stepmom's sister, Aunt Stacie. Her daughter, Amber, & I are like best friends. We are only two months apart, so we're very close. It was a Tuesday night (the 3rd) and I had went upstairs after taking a shower &laid down on Amber's floor and covered up with several blankets, since Amber keeps her room absolutely freezing. We talked for awhile and finally, at about 11pm, fell asleep. It wasn't long though, before my stepmom, Tracie, came upstairs and pulled my blankets off me.
"Come downstairs and lay down by your sister. Your dad and I need to leave for awhile."
"What?? Why?? What time is it?"
"1 am."
"You're kidding. I'm going back to bed," I said, rolling over and covering back up. Yet again, she pulled my blankets off.
"Ughhhh. Whattttt?"
"It's Papa." At this, I got up and grabbed my pillow and blankets. I walked downstairs like a zombie and finally made it to the bed. I fell asleep when my head hit the pillow. The last thing I remember seeing is my sister holding on tight to her Pikachu pillow.
*** *** *** *** *** *** ***
I woke up to voices near me. I opened my eyes and looked at my dad's alarm clock. It read 9:08 am. Why am I not in school?! Oh God.... Please don't tell me....I couldn't imagine why I wasn't in school. I felt a couple tears come to my eyes. I bit my lip so they wouldn't fall. I looked at my sister. During the night, she had let go of Pikachu, who was basically her best friend. I should've taken that as a sign...
I rolled over and looked around to see who was there. Only my dad and Tracie. My dad's eyes were as red as blood, assumingly from crying. This just made me want to cry... I looked at Tracie and her eyes were bloodshot. Oh God, please don't let it be what I think... My dad looked up and seen me with my eyes open.
"Baby girl,I have some bad news..."
I closed my eyes.
"Don't tell me, I already know."
Wow. Well written and great idea for a topic, with the dialogue bringing it to life. This is just one scene that you will have to brainstorm ways to form into a memoir. Hold this for that. Brainstorm points, pictures, morals that you would like to tell with your grandpa as the focal point, but make sure you are related to all of them in some way. I'll explain more when we get to memoir soon. In the meantime, keep writing these pictures in scenes (called vignettes) and we will connect them later.
ReplyDelete